Tripoli evacuation boat to arrive in Benghazi: IOM
A second boat carrying hundreds of evacuees from Tripoli is due to arrive in Benghazi on Monday afternoon, the International Organization for Migration said.
"Some 850 stranded migrants and vulnerable displaced Libyans, including women and children, were yesterday evacuated from Tripoli onboard an IOM chartered ship," the inter-governmental agency said in a statement released Monday.
"The migrants from Egypt, the Philippines, Lebanon, Morocco, Mauritania, Algeria, Jordan, Iraq and Ukraine boarded the IOM ship on Sunday afternoon to escape widespread shortages of fuel, food, water and medical supplies," it said.
The boat is the second IOM ship chartered to evacuate people from the embattled capital, following the successful rescue of 263 migrants last week.
The IOM said it believed many more migrants, especially from sub-Saharan Africa, are keen to register with their embassies for evacuation but are prevented to do so due to security fears.
"Many have said to journalists that they are afraid of being stopped at opposition checkpoints because of their perceived association to sub-Saharan mercenaries who are said to have fought alongside government forces," the IOM said.
A third ship is set to leave Benghazi for Tripoli on Monday, it added.
© 2011 AFP