Time for US prosecutors to drop Polanski sex case: victim
The woman who as a 13-year old was drugged and forced to have sex with Roman Polanski has renewed her call for US prosecutors to drop the decades-old underage sex charges against the director, The Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday.
"Enough is enough. This matter should have been resolved 33 years ago," Samantha Geimer said in an interview with The Times late Monday, after a Swiss court announced it would not extradite the Oscar-winning director to the United States.
Geimer, who has in the past publicly forgiven Polanski, said that she does not feel the director poses a threat.
"At 76 years old? I don't think so," she told The LA Times.
US officials in Washington said they were "disappointed" about the Swiss decision Monday, and vowed to keep seeking justice against the French-Polish director, who has been a fugitive since he fled before sentencing.
Polanski pleaded guilty to having sex with the underaged girl after plying her with drugs and champagne in 1977.
The Swiss government said it would not extradite him due to a "fault" in the US extradition request relating to whether Polanski had already served his sentence in the United States, and said the decision could not be appealed.
© 2010 AFP