ICRC urges Syria to lift block on access to Daraa casualties
The international Red Cross on Tuesday urged Syria to immediately lift restrictions on access to casualties in the southern city of Daraa, the epicentre of the crackdown on pro-democracy protests.
"The violence has resulted in a large number of casualties and we fear that of the situation worsens more lives will be lost," said Marianne Gasser, head of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delegation in Damascus.
"It is urgent that emergency medical services, first aid workers and others performing life saving tasks swiftly reach those in need," she added in a statement.
ICRC spokesman Hisham Hassan said the doctors and staff from the agency Syrian Red Crescent and other medical workers needed "immediate access to the injured."
"So far we have had restricted access to certain areas, however today we need to have more larger access especially in the south, and here I talk about Daraa," he told journalists.
"We are in touch with Syrian authorities on a daily basis but so far what we have been able to get is access probably tomorrow or the day after to certain hospitals in rural Damascus, but so far no news about Daraa in the south," Hassan added.
© 2011 AFP