Brazilian withdraws race attack claims

20th February 2009, Comments 0 comments

Swiss police say that the woman gave false evidence.

ZURICH - The Brazilian woman who claimed that she was the victim of a racist attack in the Swiss city of Zurich withdrew her allegations, local police said Thursday.

"The woman, who alleged that she was assaulted, has admitted to police that she had given false evidence," the police said in a statement.

The police said they would investigate the motives of the Brazilian and see if other people were involved in making up the story.

The Brazilian woman, a corporate lawyer, told police she was attacked earlier in February by three skinheads who carved the letters SVP, the initials of Switzerland's hard right Swiss People's Party, on her stomach and thighs.

She also claimed that she miscarried twins after the assault.

However, medical examinations later indicated that she was not pregnant.

A police forensic expert also said that she possibly inflicted the knife cuts herself.

On Wednesday, public prosecutors in Zurich opened criminal proceedings against her on suspicion that she lied to investigators.

Under Swiss law, she could face up to three years in prison if convicted.

The 26 year-old woman, who was granted legal assistance, was forbidden from leaving Swiss territory during the investigation. Swiss officials took her passport.

The story drew attention from Brazil's press earlier in February, with major newspapers talking of her being the victim of racist "torture" in Switzerland.

Brazilian Foreign Minister Celso Amorim said he summoned Swiss diplomat Claude Grottaz to express his deep concern and called for an exhaustive investigation.

[AFP / Expatica]

0 Comments To This Article