Hospitals in Switzerland
You cannot visit a Swiss hospital unless in an emergency or with a referral. Read about hospitals in Switzerland to find out what is required to visit a Swiss hospital, plus a list of the major hospitals in Switzerland.
If you need to access Swiss healthcare or seeking emergency or medical healthcare services, you will be assured to know that the hospitals in Switzerland and medical facilities are among the best equipped in the world – combined with little or no waiting lists.
Switzerland does not have free Swiss healthcare and instead residents in Switzerland must pay contributions into Swiss health insurance schemes in order to access Swiss healthcare facilities, such as hospitals in Switzerland. Typically you can visit a Swiss hospital in any canton, however, your Swiss health insurance will only cover up to the cost of what the treatment would have cost in the canton you live, except in cases where the medical treatment is not offered in your canton (then the full amount would be covered).
This guide explains what you need to know before going to the hospital in Switzerland, as well as provides a list of the major hospitals in Switzerland by region.
Hospitals in Switzerland
Hospitals in Switzerland are called Krankenhaus / Spital / Hospital / Ospedale depending in what part of the multilingual country you are residing in. Look for a sign with a white the letter ‘H’ on a blue background and you will immediately see it. You can find more healthcare terms in our French medical dictionary, German medical dictionary and Italian medical dictionary.
Unless it’s an emergency, you have to be referred to a Swiss hospital by a doctor. The hospital will usually be in your local canton and often there is more than one hospital within an area. You will usually be restricted to choosing a hospital in your own canton if you don't have enhanced medical cover as part of your Swiss health insurance. You’ll need to take along your European Health Insurance Card (for European citizens) or proof of your Swiss health insurance policy to access Swiss healthcare medical services.
Hospitals in Switzerland have three types of wards: general (two to four patients), semi-private (two patients) or private for one patient only. If you have private health insurance in Switzerland, you can choose your own doctor and get a private room. If you only have basic Swiss health insurance, it covers medical and nursing care and outpatient follow-up although you will be asked to pay a fee per day towards these costs.
Many doctors in Switzerland and senior health professionals will speak excellent English, while nurses and other staff won't always be English speakers but there will almost always be someone within the building who can help.
Emergencies in Switzerland
If you need emergency treatment at a Swiss hospital, you will typically be required to show proof of Swiss health insurance, although this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be refused in an emergency.
- For all emergencies, dial 112
- For an ambulance, dial 144
- For the police, dial 117
- For the fire brigade, dial 118.
- See a complete list of Swiss emergency numbers and helplines.
Healthcare websites in Switzerland
- Federal Office of Public Health: bag.admin.ch
- Hospital Comparison Switzerland: en.comparis.ch
- PrivateHospitals.ch: privatehospitals.ch
- Swiss Red Cross: redcross.ch
Major hospitals in Switzerland
Below is a list of some of the major Swiss hospitals, by region and in alphabetical order. You can find a fuller list of hospitals in Switzerland on the website of the Swiss Conference of Cantonal Health Directors (GDK/CDS) or see the association of Swiss Leading Hospitals (SLH).
Hospitals in Aargau
- Kantonsspital Aarau: Tellstrasse 25, 5001 Aarau | ksa.ch
- Kantonsspital Baden AG: Im Ergel 1, 5404 Baden | kantonsspitalbaden.ch
Hospitals in Basel
- Basel University Hospital (Inselspital): Spitalstrasse 21, 4056 Basel | unispital-basel.ch
- Kantonsspital Baselland (Standort Bruderholz): 4101 Bruderholz | ksbl.ch
- Kantonsspital Baselland (Standort Laufen): Lochbruggstrasse 39, 4242 Laufen | ksbl.ch
- Kantonsspital Baselland (Standort Liestal): Rheinstrasse 26, CH-4410 Liestal | ksbl.ch
- Bethesda Spital: Gellertstrasse 144, 4052 Basel | bethesda-spital.ch
- St Claraspital AG: Kleinriehenstrasse 30, 4059 Basel | claraspital.ch
- Universitäts-Kinderspital beider Basel: Spitalstrasse 33, 4056 Basel | ukbb.ch
Hospitals in Bern
- Inselspital / Berne University Hospital: Freiburgstrasse 8, 3010 Bern | insel.ch
- Salem-Spital: Schänzlistrasse 39, 3013 Bern | hirslanden.ch
Hospitals in Fribourg
- Hôpital Daler Fribourg: Route de Bertigny 34, 1700 Fribourg | daler.ch
- Hôpital HFR Fribourg: Chemin des Pensionnats 2, 1708 Fribourg | h-fr.ch
Hospitals in Geneva
- Hôpitaux Universitaires de Geneve: Rue Gabrielle-Perret-Gentil 4, 1205 Geneva | hug-ge.ch
- HUG – Hôpital des Enfants: Rue Willy-Donzé 6, 1205 Geneva | dea.hug-ge.ch
Hospitals in Graubünden
- Kantonsspital Graubünden: Loestrasse 170, 7000 Chur | ksgr.ch
Hospitals in Lausanne
- Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois (CHUV): Rue du Bugnon 46, 1011 Lausanne | chuv.ch
Hospitals in Lucerne
- Luzerner Kantonsspital Luzern: Spitalstrasse 31, 6000 Lucerne | luks.ch
- Luzerner Kantonsspital Sursee: Spitalstrasse 16A, 6210 Sursee | luks.ch
- Luzerner Kantonsspital Wolhusen: Spitalstrasse, 6110 Wolhusen | luks.c
Hospitals in Neuchâtel
Hôpital Neuchâtelois (La Chaux-de-Fonds): Rue de Chasseral 20, 2300 La Chaux-de-Fonds | h-ne.ch
Hospitals in Schaffhausen
- Spitäler Schaffhausen: Geissbergstrasse 81, 8208 Schaffhausen | spitaeler-sh.ch
Hospitals in Solothurn
- Bürgerspital Solothurn: Schöngrünstrasse 38, 4500 Solothurn | so-h.ch
Hospitals in St Gallen
- Kantonsspital St Gallen: Rorschacher Str. 95, 9007 St. Gallen | kssg.ch
- Spital Grabs: Spitalstrasse 44, 9472 Grabs | srrws.ch
Hospitals in Thurgau
- Spital Thurgau AG: Waldeggstrasse 8A, 8501 Frauenfeld | stgag.ch
Hospitals in Ticino
- Cardiocentro Ticino: Via Tesserete 48, 6900 Lugano | cardiocentro.org
- Ospedale Regionale di Lugano: Via Tesserete 46, 6900 Lugano | eoc.ch
Hospitals in Zug
- Kantonsspital Zug: Landhausstrasse 11, 6340 Baar | zgks.ch
Hospitals in Zurich
- Kantonsspital Winterthur: Brauerstrasse 15, 8401 Winterthur | ksw.ch
- Klinik Hirslanden: Witellikerstrasse 40, 8032 Zurich | hirslanden.ch
- Universitätsklinik Balgrist: Forchstrasse 340, 8000 Zurich | balgrist.ch
- University Children's Hospital Zurich (Kinderspital Zurich): Steinwiesstrasse 75, 8032 Zürich | kispi.uzh.ch
- University Hospital Zurich (Universtäts Spitals Zürich): Wagistrasse 14, 8952 Schlieren | usz.ch
Want a local opinion? Ask experienced expats on Expatica's forums for advice.
Comment here on the article, or if you have a suggestion to improve this article, please click here.