No Christmas tree on Brussels historic market this year

8th November 2012, Comments 8 comments

This year unlike previous years there will not be a genuine Christmas tree on Brussels historic market square.

For many years a traditional fir tree has embellished the market square, but this year the tree's sponsor, electricity generator Electrabel, has opted for something new.

Sara De Bruyn: "There will be a 25 metre high structure consisting of a set of screens. During the daytime you can climb to the top of the tree where you will be able to enjoy a panoramic view of the city. As soon as it becomes dark the tree turns into a spectacle of light and sound. Every ten minutes an amazing show will unfold."

[ / Expatica]

• Julian Carroll posted:

on 10th November 2012, 15:30:08 - Reply

Unbelievable! Are we going to allow this tradition to be scrapped because it might offend some people? How about all the people who are offended by NOT having the traditional tree? I suggest a mass boycott of Electrabel would send the right message.
  • Marie Louise Borg posted:

on 12th November 2012, 07:51:22 - Reply

How can a beautiful Christmas Tree offend anyone! How can these people ever integrate if they cannot accept the culture of the country hosting them?!! I PERSONALLY FEEL OFFENDED SO WHAT WILL THE BRUSSELS AUTHORITIES DO ABOUT IT?!
  • Marie Louise Borg posted:

on 12th November 2012, 07:53:26 - Reply

Re: my previous comment..I feel offended that the Christmas Tree will NOT be in Grand children are coming over to Brussels to see the Christmas Tree in Grand Place amongst other things!
  • Razza posted:

on 14th November 2012, 17:10:38 - Reply

This is political correctness gone too far. Could you imagine not having the pilgrimage to Mecca incase it offends Christians. [Edited by moderator]
  • Tariq Modood posted:

on 19th November 2012, 16:23:21 - Reply

The short news items does not say anything about the change being due to not offending anybody but thats how the previous comments have taken it. I know that a lot of media reports such changes as due to not offending Muslims but they never give any evidence for this. I am a Muslim and I am not offended by Christmas trees or Christmas anything and don't know any Muslim that is. The Qur'an enjoins Muslims to respect other people's religions and identifies Jesus as one of the most important prophets of Islam. Not all Muslims think the same on these matters, just as all Christians don't, but to downgrade Christmas and blame for Muslims for it is dishonest [edited by moderator].
  • Jeremy Halstead posted:

on 19th November 2012, 22:29:30 - Reply

Well of course Tariq is right. Lots of inference but no evidence. I am an agnostic (professing ignorance on matters we cannot know about) but I love religious symbolism and even the rather pagan symbolism of the Christmas Tree. Maybe the electric company is trying to get up to date - perhaps peole should take a look at what they are doing before assuming it is a turn for the worse.
  • jp posted:

on 3rd December 2012, 09:36:28 - Reply

this shows how far it will become in europe...Belgium,Danmark all so approachable countries for radical ideas and people ....I think i dont have to go to any of these radical countries and impose my own political and religous head will soon bounce on the floor long before we say this is enough ...or simply for the ones that cannot adapt...return to your own country of milk and honey
  • Hannah posted:

on 13th December 2012, 22:44:33 - Reply

how can anyone think this celebrates Xmas? I reckon someone in the council is getting a bung for this! [Edited by moderator]