Two Americans killed in Brussels attacks, others missing: State Dept
Two Americans were killed in the Brussels attacks and other US citizens are missing, the State Department confirmed Friday.
Thirty-one people lost their lives and 300 others were wounded in Tuesday's airport and metro suicide blasts claimed by the Islamic State group.
"We can confirm that two US citizens were killed in the attack," spokeswoman Elizabeth Trudeau told reporters, adding that US officials were continuing to coordinate with Belgian authorities in order to account for other Americans in the Belgian capital.
"We offer our sincere condolences to their family and friends," Trudeau said but declined to provide more details on the victims out of respect for the families involved.
The official US confirmation of the American deaths came just hours after Secretary of State John Kerry, speaking in Brussels, said he stood by the Belgian people, echoing their backing for the United States after the 9/11 terror attacks.
The top diplomat had said earlier that a number of Americans had died in the attacks, with a US official giving the number as two.
The United States has a strong presence in Brussels, with an embassy as well as missions to the European Union and NATO. Countless Americans work or live in the Belgian capital, or travel there for business or pleasure.
© 2016 AFP