Talks fail to secure gangster's arrest
20 July 2006, BRUSSELS — The Nivelles public prosecution office has refuted reports that gangster Murat Kaplan has turned himself into justice authorities.
20 July 2006
BRUSSELS — The Nivelles public prosecution office has refuted reports that gangster Murat Kaplan has turned himself into justice authorities.
Wallonian newspapers had earlier reported that Murat had surrendered to police on Wednesday night.
Kaplan feared he would be shot by police if found, which is why he voluntarily reported to police after negotiations on Wednesday, newspaper 'Le Soir' reported.
But the claim was denied by a spokesman for the Justice Ministry and also the Nivelles public prosecution office.
Nivelles admitted talks had been entered into, but stressed that they had failed to yield any progress. Nivelles did not give a reason for the failure of the talks.
The prosecution office said it had been informed about the talks between the Justice Ministry and Murat's lawyers, but was not involved in the discussion despite the fact a judicial officer was present.
It said the talks could lead to a swift end to the stand-off and said a prisoner who fails to return to prison after being granted penitentiary leave can simply report to the jail or a police station without any trouble.
Prosecution spokesman Bernard Goethals noted Nivelles said there was no just cause for negotiations because Murat could simply surrender to authorities in the presence of his lawyer if desired.
Murat failed to return to prison on Sunday after being granted temporary leave and eluded police capture again during a pursuit involving gunfire on Monday. Justice Minister Laurette Onkelinx has been severely criticised over the affair.
[Copyright Expatica News 2006]
Subject: Belgian news