Private funeral, silent march for murdered Joe

19th April 2006, Comments 0 comments

19 April 2006, BRUSSELS — A silent march in honour of Brussels Central murder victim Joe Van Holsbeeck will be held in the Belgian capital on Sunday.

19 April 2006

BRUSSELS — A silent march in honour of Brussels Central murder victim Joe Van Holsbeeck will be held in the Belgian capital on Sunday.

The march will be staged from 3pm and comes upon the request of Brussels MP Fouad Ahidar last week.

Van Holsbeeck's parents have expressly requested that the march take the form of a "peaceful manifestation" for the right to safety in Brussels and elsewhere, both for youths and older people.

"It is also a symbolic call for a calm and constructive debate," they said.

Meanwhile, Van Holsbeeck's funeral will be held on Thursday. It will be a private ceremony, the parents of the victim and his friend said.

Van Holsbeeck was stabbed five times in the chest last week after refusing to hand over his mp3 player to two assailants at Brussels Central train station.

He had been waiting with a friend for another friend's train to arrive at the time of the attack and his murder has sparked public outrage.

Police are to release video footage later on Wednesday in a bid to identify the two suspects.

An urn will be placed at Brussels Central from Thursday through until Sunday in which members of the public can leave behind condolence notices.

Some 14 students at Van Holsbeeck's school Sacré-Coeur de Lindthout have been invited to attend the youth's funeral.

A commemorative service will be held for all of the Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe school students on Thursday 27 April.

[Copyright Expatica News 2006]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article