Norway confirms one of its nationals kidnapped in Egypt
Norway's government confirmed Friday that one of the two tourists kidnapped in Egypt's Sinai peninsula earlier in the day was a Norwegian national.
The foreign ministry refused however to provide any other details about the person.
"I can confirm that a Norwegian citizen was kidnapped today in the Sinai," foreign ministry spokesman Svein Atle Michelsen said.
"We do not want to provide any details about the identity of this person," he said.
Egyptian police said armed Bedouin tribesmen abducted two tourists, an Israeli man and a 31-year-old Norwegian woman, as they travelled between two beach resorts.
Six gunmen intercepted the tourists' car and forced them into their truck, the officials said.
Police had initially said the kidnapped woman was a Belgian national.
Norway said it was in contact with authorities in other countries to try to free the hostages.
"We are taking the situation very seriously," Michelsen said.
© 2013 AFP