Islamist terrorists appeal conviction
6 April 2006, BRUSSELS — The appeal of five men convicted for membership of the terror network GICM started in Brussels Court on Wednesday.
6 April 2006
BRUSSELS — The appeal of five men convicted for membership of the terror network GICM started in Brussels Court on Wednesday.
Four of the five suspects denied immediately at the start of proceedings that they had been involved in terrorist acts.
Brussels Court convicted on 27 February 11 suspects who were found to be part of a Belgian cell of Morocco's militant GICM Islamist group.
The organisation is said to have links with the terror network al-Qaeda and was involved in the bomb attacks in Casablanca and Madrid. More than 200 people were killed in those attacks.
The public prosecutor said on Wednesday the five suspects who have appealed had numerous contacts with proven GICM members in Spain, Italy, France and the Netherlands.
Forged documents and equipment to forge Belgian and other passports were also seized in various house raids.
The main suspects were sentenced to seven years jail by the trial court. A ruling in the appeal is not expected until September.
[Copyright Expatica News 2006]
Subject: Belgian news