Girls' suspected kidnapper denied release

19th June 2006, Comments 0 comments

19 June 2006 (first update), BRUSSELS — A hearing at Liège Court ruled against releasing the main suspect in the disappearance of step-sisters Stacy and Nathalie on Monday.

19 June 2006 (first update)

BRUSSELS — A hearing at Liège Court ruled against releasing the main suspect in the disappearance of step-sisters Stacy and Nathalie on Monday.

After the ruling was handed down, Jean-Dominique Franchimont, the lawyer representing the suspect, said he would appeal.

Franchimont had earlier requested the release of Abdallah Ait-Oud, claiming there is no hard evidence against him.

The 38-year-old convicted child sex offender reported to police last Tuesday, but continues to deny any involvement in the disappearance of the two girls.

He was in the Liège pub visited by the parents of the missing girls on the night they disappeared, but adamantly pleaded his innocence again during a full day of questioning on Saturday.

Judicial sources have said it remains unclear what Ait-Oud did on the night of Friday 9 June immediately after the girls disappeared and the next day.

The results of DNA tests on clothing found in the man's apartment are not yet known, newspaper 'De Standaard' reported.

The mother of Nathalie also underwent questioning on Sunday about the circumstances of the disappearance.
 
She told police on Friday that she'd been sent a suspicious mobile phone text message. The message was not sent by a family member, but was not sent anonymously either.

Meanwhile, police have still not found any trace of the missing girls, despite continued searches throughout the weekend.

Justice authorities have urged the public to send in any film or photos of the street party at which the girls disappeared. It is possible that a suspect might have been captured on film.

The father of Nathalie, Didier Mahy, also urged the kidnappers of the two girls to let them go. "Just drop them off somewhere. Do it anonymously, but give them back," he said on broadcaster the RTL.
 
Mahy also said that deep in his heart, he feels that his daughter is still alive.

[Copyright Expatica News 2006]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article