First-ever 'anti-Jewish aggression' trials start

14th June 2005, Comments 0 comments

14 June 2005, BRUSSELS — The first ever Belgian court proceedings against anti-Semitic aggression on the street started in Antwerp Court on Tuesday.

14 June 2005

BRUSSELS — The first ever Belgian court proceedings against anti-Semitic aggression on the street started in Antwerp Court on Tuesday.

A 22-year-old Muslim man, identified as Chbaba B., is accused of threatening a Jewish man on 7 June last year with a knife, warning also he was going to murder all of the Jewish people.

The public prosecutor demanded the defendant — who was previously convicted in February 2004 for a violent theft — be sentenced to a six-month jail term and a EUR 500 fine.

The court will had down its ruling on 24 June, newspaper 'De Standaard' reported.

In the other case, the 23-year-old Bart E., of Antwerp, stands accused of verbally abusing two Jewish boys aged 17 and 20. He also allegedly threatened to head butt the boys.

The abuse, allegedly carried out with two friends, is said to have taken place on 24 June 2004.

The case was adjourned on Tuesday until 4 October after the court ordered an investigation into the man's behaviour and social climate

The defendant's lawyer said if the victim's were not Jewish, the case would never have been taken to court.

Belgian media also pointed out the court hearings were the first such proceedings against anti-Jewish aggression to be held in Belgium.

Flemish broadcaster VRT said few complaints are made because the incidents are often very minor and it's difficult to find the perpetrators.

Consequently and despite claims anti-Semitic violence is increasing in Belgium, judicial sources stress there are no figures corroborating this.

Belgian judicial authorities are encouraging people to make complaints and have enlisted the assistance of the Forum of Jewish Organisations and Jewish schools.

[Copyright Expatica News 2005]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article