Death toll from Belgian flat collapse rises to 14

8th February 2010, Comments 0 comments

A total of 14 people died in last month's collapse of an apartment bock in the eastern Belgian city of Liege, a local official said, up from 13 after analysis of remains pulled from the rubble.

BRUSSELS - "To be certain of body identification, samples were taken for analysis and so, unfortunately, we must number a 14th victim," Liege public prosecutor Daniele Reynders told the Belga news agency at the weekend.

The six-storey building collapsed in the early hours of January 27 during rescue and fire operations after it a gas explosion.

Only a 13-year-old girl was pulled alive from the remains of the building hours after the collapse.

A total of 21 other people in injured in the explosion.

Police have not yet determined with the blast was an accident or the result of a suicide.

The inquiry which has been launched could last months.

The nearby area remains sealed off and some people have been unable to return to their homes since the explosion.


0 Comments To This Article