DRCongo rejects Belgian order to return body
The Democratic Republic of Congo rejected Thursday a Belgian court's order for the return to Belgium of the body of a man who died after being jailed for throwing a stone at the president's convoy.
Armand Tungulu, who lived in Belgium, was arrested for throwing a stone at President Joseph Kabila's convoy on September 29 and found dead in his cell three days later.
"This order is totally inconvenient because it compromises the inquiry under way in the DR Congo on this case," government spokesman Lambert Mende said in a statement that said the country "rejected" the demand.
Authorities said preliminary investigations suggested Tungulu, 30, had committed suicide.
Rights groups said he had been beaten up by the president's bodyguards.
A Belgian court on Monday demanded that his body be repatriated to Belgium under a penalty of 25,000 euros (35,000 dollars) per day for any delay.
© 2010 AFP