Co-suspect in mp3 murder granted outings from jail

28th August 2006, Comments 0 comments

28 August 2006, BRUSSELS — Controversy erupted over the weekend amid revelations that the co-suspect in the murder of teenager Joe Van Holsbeeck was allowed out of jail recently to watch a match of the Belgian national football team. The 16-year-old Mariusz O. was allowed to watch from the stands the Red Devils play Kazakhstan on 16 August.

28 August 2006

BRUSSELS — Controversy erupted over the weekend amid revelations that the co-suspect in the murder of teenager Joe Van Holsbeeck was allowed out of jail recently to watch a match of the Belgian national football team.
 
The 16-year-old Mariusz O. was allowed to watch from the stands the Red Devils play Kazakhstan on 16 August.

He was accompanied by a monitor from his youth penitentiary institute Kasteelbrakel.

The young man is waiting trial for the stabbing murder of 17-year-old Joe Van Holsbeeck at Brussels Central station in April.

Joe's parents expressed their disgust over the weekend at the frivolity of the decision.

"Apparently, you can get up to absolutely anything and still have fun in your life. Even before you've appeared in court. We're suffering, he has pleasure," Joe's father Guy Van Holsbeeck said.

Interior Minister Patrick Dewael and Justice Minister Laurette Onkelinx said it was incomprehensible that O. had been granted the outing.

"This is a sign of disrespect for the family of the victim," the ministers said.

The ministers have called for a meeting with the regional ministers responsible for the decision to discuss the situation.

In turn, Francophone Minister for Youth Institutes Catherine Fonck has promised to impose stricter regulations.

But it was Fonck's policies that relaxed regulations. Previously, youths were only allowed an outing after three months in a youth jail, but that is now two months.

And the director of the Kasteelbrakel institute, Joël Ponseele, admitted that Mariusz O. has had more than one outing from the youth prison, newspaper 'De Morgen' reported on Monday.

"That fits in with our educational policy. The responsible ministers should know that," he said.

The youth accused of actually stabbing Van Holsbeeck, the 17-year-old Adam G. — who has also been detained at Kasteelbrakel since his extradition from Poland — does not yet come in to consideration for an outing.

[Copyright Expatica News 2006]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article