Child Focus demands Belgian paedophile register

1st July 2004, Comments 0 comments

1 July 2004, BRUSSELS – Convicted child molester Michel Fourniret's shock confession that he murdered six girls has prompted Belgian childrens' rights group Child Focus to renew its call for the Belgian government to set up a register of known paedophiles, it was reported on Thursday.

1 July 2004

BRUSSELS – Convicted child molester Michel Fourniret's shock confession that he murdered six girls has prompted Belgian childrens' rights group Child Focus to renew its call for the Belgian government to set up a register of known paedophiles, it was reported on Thursday.

It is not the first time Child Focus, which was set up after Belgian Child Killer Marc Dutroux was arrested in 1996, has called for such a register.

But it renewed its call after Fourniret, a French forestry worker living in Belgium, confessed on Wednesday to a series of child murders.

Fourniret had been found guilty in France of sexually abusing children, but no one knew of his conviction when he settled in Belgium.

"The aim is not that this list should be used by the general public," Child Focus spokeswoman Isabelle Marneffe told the Belgian daily De Standaard.

"But it should be a tool for the authorities. The police service and the mayors at least should be aware of the criminal past of a new resident," she added.

Child Focus said it argued its case with former Justice Minister Marc Verwilghen and had also expressed its view to current Justice Minister Laurette Onkelinx.

But until now, arguments about the protection of an individual’s privacy have prevailed.

A spokesperson for Onkelinx, said: "We have to avoid a smear campaign like in England where the names and addresses of paedophiles were published."

 [Copyright Expatica 2004]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article