Charges laid over tragic gas explosion

23rd September 2005, Comments 0 comments

23 September 2005, BRUSSELS — Judicial authorities are currently issuing summons against various suspects as investigations into the Ghislenghien gas explosion near completion.

23 September 2005

BRUSSELS — Judicial authorities are currently issuing summons against various suspects as investigations into the Ghislenghien gas explosion near completion.

Wallonian public broadcaster RTBF said on Thursday several charges were officially lodged at the end of last week.

A foreman who worked with the Diamond Board construction firm at the time of the explosion was also charged on Thursday.

He noticed a gas leak two hours before the explosion on 30 July last year killed 24 people and injured 132 more.
 
In the coming few days, examining judge Gérard Bressoux in the Wallonian city of Tournai will press charges against several more people. Some of them reportedly include staff of gas network administrator Fluxys.

The investigation's press officer, Marie-Claude Maertens, confirmed that charges are being laid, but has refused to identify the accused. She also stressed that defendants are innocent until proven guilty.

Broadcaster RTBF said a possible eight charges will be lodged, newspaper 'Het Gazet van Antwerpen' reported.

The judiciary will hold a press conference in the near future to clarify the legal process to the Belgian public.

[Copyright Expatica News 2005]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article