Call to re-open Dutroux inquiries

24th June 2005, Comments 0 comments

24 June 2005, BRUSSELS — Ten years after the kidnapping of victims Julie and Melissa, the public prosecutor in the case against child killer Marc Dutroux wants to reopen the legal dossier.

24 June 2005

BRUSSELS — Ten years after the kidnapping of victims Julie and Melissa, the public prosecutor in the case against child killer Marc Dutroux wants to reopen the legal dossier.

In a report sent to the prosecution office in Luik, prosecutor Michel Bourlet urged for continued tests on the hairs found in the Marcinelle home of Dutroux.

Luik Court ruled in October last year that there was no reason to continue analysing the hairs, newspaper 'Het Laatste Nieuws' reported on Friday.

However, Bourlet said of the 4,000 to 6,000 hairs found in the Dutroux home, just 2,922 have been analysed.

Bourlet said if it can be shown scientifically that the tests will not achieve anything, he will accept the decision. "But at the moment, we have not had any rational answer on the part of the scientists," he said.

The prosecution office in Luik is not expected to respond to Bourlet's request until after the summer holiday period.

Dutroux kidnapped Julie and Melissa on 24 June 1995 in Grâce-Hollogne. He then led police to their bodies in the backyard of a Sars-la-Buissiere house in August 1996.

The Belgian paedophile was found guilty of abduction, rape and murder on 17 June 2004. He was convicted of leading a gang that kidnapped and raped six girls in the mid-1990s, leading to the deaths of four of them.

Dutroux lodged an appeal against his life sentence, but this was dismissed on 16 December last year. Belgium's Supreme Court also threw out an appeal by his ex-wife, Michelle Martin, against her 30-year sentence for kidnapping and rape.

[Copyright Expatica News 2005]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article