Belgium braced for more Fourniret horrors

5th July 2004, Comments 0 comments

5 July 2004, BRUSSELS – Belgian prosecutors believe self-confessed serial killer Michel Fourniret may have murdered many more people than he has so far admitted, it has emerged.

5 July 2004

BRUSSELS – Belgian prosecutors believe self-confessed serial killer Michel Fourniret may have murdered many more people than he has so far admitted, it has emerged.

Speaking on Belgian television on Sunday one of the Belgian Prosecutors leading the investigation into Fourniret's suspected crimes said it seemed likely more killings would come to light.

"The fear we have now is that other crimes could be confessed, could come to light and that then the number could stretch out dangerously," Prosecutor Cedric Visart de Bocarme said.

"There are probably other facts we don't know yet," he added.

De Bocarme's comments came as Belgian police said they were planning to re-open 15 unsolved investigations into disappearances that they think Fourniret may be linked to.

French police meanwhile said on Monday that they would be re-opening 30 unsolved murder cases following Fourniret's confessions.

Fourniret, a French forestry worker now living in Belgium, has so far confessed to nine murders carried out in Belgium and France.

On Saturday he led investigators to the place he said he had buried two of his victims, 12 year old Belgian girl Elisabeth Brichet and Jeanne-Marie Desramault, a 22 year old French woman.

Police found two bodies at the site – a Chateau near the Belgian French border in the Ardennes region.

Autopsies must still be carried out to formally identify the remains but there seems little doubt that the bodies were indeed Fourniret's two victims.

The investigations on Saturday also revealed more horrific details about Fourniret's character.

He apparently stored Elisabeth Brichet's body in a freezer for several days before burying it.

After Saturday's discoveries experts said that more bodies would almost certainly be found.

Aside from the French and Belgian investigations, the Danish media reported on Sunday that investigators there were looking into whether Fourniret could have raped and tried to kill an 11 year old girl in 1999.

Dutch police also believe the forestry worker may have been responsible for several unsolved murders in the Netherlands.

[Copyright Expatica 2004]

Subject: Belgian news

 

0 Comments To This Article