Belgian tourists safe in Iran

15th August 2007, Comments 0 comments

15 August 2007, BRUSSELS (AP) - Two Belgians who went missing in southeastern Iran were back in safety and in good health, a Belgian government official said Tuesday, adding that the circumstances of their disappearance over the weekend were still unclear.

15 August 2007

BRUSSELS (AP) - Two Belgians who went missing in southeastern Iran were back in safety and in good health, a Belgian government official said Tuesday, adding that the circumstances of their disappearance over the weekend were still unclear.

The Flemish couple, 27 and 30 years old, went missing outside the historical town of Bam, in a region known for smuggling and kidnappings of Western tourists.

"The mother of one of the two was in contact by telephone with his mother this afternoon. He said he was in safety and good health in a location nearby," Belgian foreign ministry spokesman Francois Dumon said.

He said it was unclear if the man and the woman, who were not married but lived together, had been kidnapped, and if so, whether a ransom was paid for them to be released.

"We have absolutely no information on this," he said, adding that a Belgian official was travelling to the area to find out more details.

Dumon said the two were on their way to India when they disappeared.

[Copyright AP 2007]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article