Belgian police boost queen's protection after threats

20th July 2010, Comments 0 comments

Belgian police stepped up protection for Queen Fabiola on the eve of Belgium's national holiday after she received a new wave of death threats, the palace said Tuesday.

"There still are threats against the life of the queen, the last ones were in May," palace spokesman Pierre-Emmanuel De Bauw told AFP.

"The interior ministry has taken special measures," he said, ahead of the military parade in downtown Brussels.

Newspaper La Derniere Heure reported that Brussels prosecutors are investigating two new threats against the 82-year-old widow of king Baudouin.

A postcard was sent in early July which told the queen she only had 21 days left to live, but De Bauw could not confirm this, the daily said.

The royal family, led by Queen Fabiola's brother-in-law, King Albert II, will gather on Wednesday to watch the parade.

Belgian police had already launched a probe into death threats in January, following others made in the summer 2009.

Fabiola's husband King Baudouin reigned over Belgium from 1960 to 1993.

© 2010 AFP

0 Comments To This Article