Belgian news in brief, 7 July 2006

7th July 2006, Comments 0 comments

Dutch-Belgian bid for World Cup

Dutch-Belgian bid for World Cup

Belgian Francophone Senator Alain Courtois has come out in support of talk that Belgium and the Netherlands might submit a joint bid to host the World Cup in 2018. He said the bid is "a realistic dream". He said the toughest competition to host the championship would come from Spain. However, talk has also opened up in Australia about a possible 'down under' bid for the 2018 World Cup.

Flooding, damage in Flanders

Flooding and damage to property in parts of Flanders were reported following heavy rainfall on Thursday. The Hageland region was hardest hit as cellars were flooded, primarily in Tienen. The Leuven-Diest regional road was sealed off in Bekkevoort. Lightning strikes were reported in Herent, while streets overflowed in Wezemaal. In the province of Antwerp, the Rupelstreek and Noorderkempen regions were hardest hit. Lightning strikes also cause minor damage to two houes in Aalst.

Suspect in bus death freed

Antwerp juvenile court ordered the release on Friday of one of the youths being held for the death of a 54-year-old man on a city bus last month. Three other suspects, including two minors, are still being held on remand for the death of train driver Guido De Moor. A decision on the remand of the other two youths will possibly be made next week.

[Copyright Expatica News 2006]

Subject: Belgian news

0 Comments To This Article