Belgian knife attack suspect on hunger strike

26th January 2009, Comments 0 comments

De Gelder was charged Saturday with killing two babies, aged six and nine months, and a nurse at the "Country of Fables" creche on Friday.

DENDERMONDE - The suspect in a gruesome knife attack on a Belgian day-care centre last week is on hunger strike and refuses to talk, sources close to the police inquiry told Belga news agency Sunday.

It said that the man, identified in Belgian media as 20-year-old Kim De Gelder, is on an intravenous drip in a medical facility in a prison in Bruges.

In an attack that shocked the nation, the man - wearing face paint - went on a heavily armed rampage of the nursery, injuring 10 children and two staff, some seriously.

After staff opened the door, he barged into the centre with a 30-centimetre (12-inch) long knife and began slashing some of the children lying in beds, none more than three years old.

Investigators have been unable to establish why he targeted that particular day-care centre in the small town of Dendermonde, some 30 kilometres (20 miles) northwest of Brussels, as he lived in another town.


0 Comments To This Article